Tears of Gratitude.

 It sounds so cheesy, but it really happened, my eyes filled with tears today and all because of the simple kindness of others towards my (at times) challenging son. 

Some children (like my daughter) are easy to love, easy to bond with, easy to smother with kisses and simply adore. Then other children (like my son) are harder; harder to bond with, harder to understand, harder to please, harder. Children like my son, make parenting extra exhausting in every way; emotionally, mentally, everything. I feel more private and protective with him, over the years my posts of him have lessened as I know he doesn't want attention and to write of him feels like I have to explain so much more. 

Two totally different kids but best of friends. 

He recently returned to in-person learning. He didn't really want to go back, it has been totally his jam staying his room most of the last year. He didn't mind, he liked fixing up his space, making it cozy and all his own. He said he didn't miss friends or school, and I believe him. An introvert through and through. I knew though he NEEDED to be around others. He needed peers. He We needed his teachers to hound him in person because we are so tired of carrying all of the hounding weight. Eight days in and I've already gotten two emails about his lack of cooperation at school. I wanted to say, Oh I totally knew this is how it would be!...Good luck, we've been dealing with this the past year! I mean absolutely no disrespect to the teachers but I wasn't surprised one bit. I also know that just going to school, everyday, full day is long and hard for him. It's especially draining for a kid like him. I respond delicately each time, not wanting to sound too harsh, or too dismissive of their concerns. This afternoon I got an email from one of his teachers saying; 

He turned the rest of the block around and was able to get some work done!  

This week, I have found that chunking the work up into small parts and then having him walk up and down the hallway for a physical break have helped him.  We'll just keep trying different strategies as they are needed!

Love your sweet boy!!

Having talked to this teacher many times I know she really does love him, and really does care. To put your delicate kiddo out into the tough world, and find someone that really cares is everything! It's definitely not always this way. 


Also this week, he needed a tooth extraction to possibly prevent braces (one adult tooth is shown on the x-ray to be coming in at a crazy angle with no where to go).  We'd been talking about this appointment and he showed some nervousness going in, but the doctor picked up on it right away, she discretely pulled me out of the room, and we talked for about 5 minutes, she empathetically said she could go ahead with the procedure but that it would be a lot of tugging and she didn't want to traumatize him. She suggested I go to a partner practiced for light sedation. Hudson was on board with this. Later that afternoon the receptionist called and said the two dentists had talked and to expect a call from the sedation dentist. I thanked her for the call. Even that felt like going above and beyond. The new dentist called me twice today and carefully went over everything, and I could tell that both of these dentists are loving, caring mothers, and were really talking to me mother to mother. I know it is not always this way. 

Hudson's now had 11 Occupational Therapy sessions and his OT really gets him. Its been on my mind for years that he probable needs OT but I've always been too busy, distracted, dismissive to pursue it. I kept thinking; 'oh he's not so bad, this medicine will help, no this medicine will help, this counselor will help'.... These supports have helped, but not with everything. This OT is addressing everything; mood management, communication, posture, 'rock brain'... we're seeing so much improvement and it's like he's breaking out of his shell a bit. Even something as minor as him saying, "That bothers me" is a really big deal. This OT really gets him, she sees so much to work on, she's energetic, creative and I can tell she loves her job, and loves working with Hudson. She chats with me for 10 minutes at the end of the session, taking her time telling me everything they did, allowing time for questions and feedback. I know it is not always this way. 

So excited for the first day of school! 

My eyes fill with gratitude for these these few women that have touched us this week with simple kindness, and their compassionate hearts. This boy that could so easily be pushed aside and plowed right over is instead treated with kindness and understanding. Maybe the world is changing just a tiny bit for the better. <3  





Comments