Book Notes: Smash!

OMG why didn't any one tell me I hadn't put any book reviews up in 3 months!?!?! Sorry peeps! I might take that to mean that you all don't like them, but I have actually heard people say they do like them AND I can tell from my blog stats that the Book Reviews are the most viewed (we're talking more than 10 people, insanity!) Anyway, I haven't been putting as much into my book reviews lately, but here are a few to hold you over.  Let me know what you've been enjoying because eventually I'm going to run out of Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picoult books. :)

American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely PatriotAmerican on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot by Craig Ferguson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Audiobook version: This book was read by Craig himself, and who doesn't want to listen to a funny Scotsman for 5 hours?! This book, unlike many by humorists I've read lately, had an actual clear outline and message. Craig walks the reader through his alcoholism, drug use and ultimate sobriety. You learn about his two previous marriages and hope this last one will stick. Craig reaches almost gag levels of cheesiness when talking about choosing to be an American, but hey, can I really fault him? It's nice to have someone be positive every once in a while, and even though it's the title of the book, his patriotism does not permeate the book. (Although his aspirations to reach America do.) Overall, a good wholesome read.

Are You There God? It's Me, MargaretAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I know you're laughing at me right now! I've actually never read this classic, and it's just 3 hours as an audiobook so why not?! Even though it's from 1970, I think it still has a lot of valuable messages for young girls.



Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine, #1)Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
 This was a fun one. It reminded me of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close; an eccentric boy on a mission that very few understand. This one is about a teenager who goes to Wales to explore the roots of his recently deceased grandfather. There's some time travel, and special powers but somehow it wasn't too sci-fi-y for me. An enjoyable one for sure, and it will make an enjoyable movie.
My rating: 4 of 5 stars





Sing You HomeSing You Home by Jodi Picoult

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This Picoult is fight over the ownership of fertilized eggs in a clinic after the parents divorce. I thought Picoult was brave to take on both the Religious Right and the Homosexual Community. She adeptly portrayed them both with respect although the parties were vying in the book. I thought the Lesbian love story was weakly developed but I guess that wasn't intended to be the focus. There's actually a music CD that comes with the book and you listen to a new track each chapter that helps set the mood. As awesome as I thought this idea is, I didn't actually take the CD out. Not her best book, but certainly interesting!


Here Comes TroubleHere Comes Trouble by Michael Moore

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


As cool as I think Michael Moore is, he can also be too much at times. I honestly thought this book would be about a precocious toddler that swindled the milkman, a talkative smart-ass that got kicked out of grade school and hell-on-wheels teenager --- But none of this was true! I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know him, and the audiobook is read by Michael, whose voice is soothing and friendly. He flows seamlessly through his stories with passion, conviction and heart in his voice. The section on the death of the middle class had me thinking for weeks. I have a new admiration for Moore, time and time again he has gone against a higher power to advocate for the average American and that is something I think everyone should be able to respect.



View all my reviews

Comments