Book Notes: May - July 2015

I'm finally reading again!

Where'd You Go, BernadetteWhere'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Intriguing, sassy and compelling. A fun summer read, and enlightening to travel to Antarctica in a light novel.




The Hypnotist's Love StoryThe Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I quit after about 30%, it just was not all that compelling, and the one book club member that completed it did not find it worthwhile. Life's too short to stick with crummy books, too bad because I really liked Husband's Secret.




The Girl on the TrainThe Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I might have given this book a higher rating if I had read it 5 years ago, but now it's in the genre with Gone Girl and The Two Deaths of Daniel Hayes and I don't think this one held up as well against those. This one follows the others with "who dun it?" and "which character am I rooting for anyway?" This book was much anticipated an I think it would make a good movie but for some reason it took me a long time to get into it. In brief; 30 something alcoholic "girl" Rachel, "gets to know" the people she sees from the train. One day, she sees something that surprises her, and she gets overly involved. As you can guess, all hell breaks loose as she tries, and keeps failing, to set things straight.



The Midwife's ConfessionThe Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Interesting read about a 40 something that commits suicide and what her friends learn about her after the tragedy.





Necessary LiesNecessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

You.must.read.this.book! This was the best page-turner I've read in a long, long time. Based on the real practice of sterilization of the impoverished, Chamberlain brings it to human-light through characters; affected, fighting, executing and unaware of the practice. Touching, and conversation-provoking.




We Were LiarsWe Were Liars by E. Lockhart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book in 3 days, which for me is amazingly fast. It is a true page-turner. The story revolves around Cadence (Cady) a privileged teenager who spent her summers on a private island off the coast of Massachusetts. When she was 15 Cady was in some kind of accident that left her with selective amnesia and splitting headaches. Two years later she is determined to fill in the blanks and find out what happened the night she was found on the beach, barely clothed, shivering with a head injury. There's themes of greed, family, and young love woven throughout. I don't know what else to say without saying too much!


View all my reviews

Comments