COVID Vaccine: Part III

 COVID Vaccine: Part I

COVID Vaccine: Part II

Part III, Second dose and after 

I went ahead and booked my second dose appointment a day or two after my first dose. At first I was going to wait to see if a closer, more convenient locations opened up, but with so much news out there about short supply, I figured it would be better to lock in an appointment early. A few days before my appointment, I got a strange email that sounded like my appointment was cancelled, but it wasn't, they were just switching over to a different system. Thankfully all appointments that were already made, were being kept. 

February 3, 2021 

This time my appointment was at a local sports center. Once again the whole operation was smooth and without a snag. The person that gave me the vaccine shared that she had a headache for 5 days after the second dose, and couldn't run her usual 5 miles the next day. I felt grateful for the second dose but a bit nervous about what tomorrow might look like. I shifted my afternoon plans to get as much done that day as I could incase I was out of commission the next day. 

The afternoon was busy, and I felt perfectly fine, but I didn't sleep well thinking about my early morning classes at; 6:30, 7, and 7:30. I kept worrying I wouldn't feel up for them, and I had a restless night. 

                                      

February 4, 2021

I got up for the classes and told myself if I can just get through these classes I can return to bed. Once Sadie started her online class at 9:25, I got in bed and pretty much stayed throughout the day. My body ached like I had slept/stretched/got up wrong, and my body felt very heavy/fatigued. I read and slept throughout the day. I'm usually well rested and don't even yawn most days, so this definitely knocked me out. Like morning sickness though, I took great comfort in knowing what was happening and that it was normal. I might have been worried if I didn't have any effect at all, I might have worried that the shot didn't work for me! By 4 PM I felt strong enough for a shower, and was able to sit up throughout the evening. 

February 5, 2021

Before I even got out of bed, I could tell I felt 'normal'! My day was pretty typical without even felling arm soreness. I am incredibly grateful to have received the vaccine. I have a sense of relief, although still vulnerable to carrying it others. 


I didn't take a post-vax pic this time, nor one of me in bed all day, so here's 
just a random picture of the kids at their happiest, playing video games. 

Overall it's as if we're in a developing country desperate for life-saving medicine that is in short supply. As I was getting my first dose, people were raiding the Capitol unbeknownst to me. By the time I got my second dose, we had a new President, already in his second week in office. So much can change so quickly. I feel grateful to have this level of protection, even if it's not enough, even if it's temporary, even if the day to day reality will not change much for some time to come. Since my first dose, my brother, aunt and grandma have had their first doses, and will be fully vaccinated this month. I'm hoping this means more time together in the coming months. Stay well all. <3 

Comments