COVID Vaccine: Part I

Wearing my scarf to the grocery store, March 28, 2020, I remember getting funny looks, among the very few with a covering of any kind. 


Me in July 2020

"I don't trust anything rolled out under the T administration."

Me in August 2020

"I'll let other people get the vaccine so I don't have to!" 

Me in September 2020

"It was developed so quickly, I don't trust it!" 

Me in December 2020

"Sign me up!"

My first mask, made by a friend, April 16, 2020, I was so excited to get this level of protection!

What caused the change of heart? Perhaps it was living under this cloud of COVID for 9+ months, perhaps it's knowing this is not going away anytime soon. Sadly, I think it's because after all of this time, I've accepted that we just will not end this without a vaccine. We as a nation cannot stay home, cannot mask up and socially distance. I've come to think why is this so surprising? Prior to COVID, US was among the least healthy countries in the world, and not due to lack of resources, simply due to our own decisions. Our dietary and lifestyle decisions. Of course we want a quick fix, of course we want someone to fix this for us, god-forbid we take some personal responsibility for our health. Of course COVID goes beyond that, not just protecting ourselves like our diet does, but protecting everyone in our air space too. My degree was in Sociology, and my top two Clifton Strengths are Empathy and Relator. So much of 2020 was spent shaking my head thinking, "I just don't understand." Time and time again I was surprised by people's actions. Even my own at times. Nothing made sense. I finally accepted we're in this for the long haul, and you better get the vaccine! 



December 31, 2020

We got an email from my boss saying they had started the process to gain access to the COVID vaccine. I wrote back right away that I would love to get it, not just for my home visits, but also since I see my 94 year old grandmother, and I would feel much safer if I had the vaccine. 

January 4, 2021

I got an email that said to follow the link to register on the VAMS website. Upon registering, it shows a screen "Register for an appointment." I literally squealed. I thought we would be registering and waiting indefinitely. Within 20 miles, there were 3 sites available, one day a week each. One had no slots available this week, I made an appointment for January 6. All of the locations are 15-20 miles away. I was so giddy to get the confirmation email. I quickly texted lots of friends and family feeling like I had won the lottery. Feeling incredibly grateful and humbled. It's not widely available yet. I'll be getting it before anyone else in my family, I'll be getting it before many of my friends with preexisting conditions. I feel badly about this but extremely grateful. So grateful I tear up, it's not just gratitude for the vaccine, but to be a part of an agency that truly cares about us is remarkable. I assume risk every home visit, every trip to see my grandmother, every outing. I am masked and sanitize my hands, but every encounter is a risk. For a few days earlier this week I felt a little off, a little headache-y, fatigued and I was terrified, I woke up feeling hot and grew more terrified. Is this what it's like in developing countries where one lives in fear of devastating illnesses? Illnesses that modern medicine can address with access? I can't remember another time I've been so grateful for a vaccine. I will still take all of the same precautions but it is so comforting to have this extra layer of protection for myself, my family, and the families I serve. Oh and don't worry about me, my iffiness was just too much holidays, but a few days of oatmeal, salad, and extra sleep was all that was needed. <3 Tomorrow's the big day and I can't wait! I'll post about my experience later on. Be well my friends. <3 

The story continues here...COVID Vaccine: Part II

Comments