Snow Day Survival

If you're looking at Facebook on a snow day, a teacher WITHOUT children at home, might post a photo like this: 

Sure, they are most definitely doing school work, and catching up on things, but if you look at the Facebook feed of a parent home with children, their photo is probably more like this: 

After spending 8 days in the last month home for snow, or one of the kids being sick, here's my cheeky guide for your (mental) survival. 

  1. Have a schedule in mind. For me, it's cleaning/free play  in the morning, mid-morning break with a calm activity together (play dough, puzzles, coloring) where I join them. TV for them while I make lunch, then NAP for the little one, quiet play for the bigger one or he goes next door or outside to play while Sadie naps. For me saying "first we're going to do this, then we're going to do this..." keep us all grounded and prevents us from loosing our minds with the open ended-ness of the day. Plus I believe in time for them to play WITHOUT me, and I NEED to get some cleaning done to feel like the day is not wasted, even if it's just dishes, laundry, vacuuming, etc. 



 2. No make-up, no bra. Take a break from the norm, usually my getting dressed is changing from a robe to a sweatshirt, and elastic waistband is a bonus  (no picture needed)!
 3. Have fun. We're all only young once, even if they drive you crazy, try to sit back and laugh a little with them, even go sledding if you feel like you won't be injured in the process!


4. Take a break. My "breaks" were taking a turn shoveling, for me it was peaceful, exercise, useful, and ice cold beer, I felt calm again when I returned inside.



5. Play music. When the noise, voices, whining, clamor are starting to get to me, I turn on the radio, usually we three start dancing, singing, or at the very least, I can't hear the offensive noises as much and I feel myself calm down!

6. Enjoy the view. Snow days are an inconvenience but I still love them, the beauty, the gift of time with the kids, the break from the strenuous routine. 



Comments

  1. I can totally relate to this! During the last blizzard I let the boys take a bubble bath with toys in the middle if the day in my gigantic bathtub that hardly ever gets used. They had a blast.It helped the day go by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Karen! Baths are a great filler, and nice to do when we're not so exhausted! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Post a Comment