Small World Visit to the OB.

So I went to the doctor today for a routine visit, and three very small-world incidents occurred in the short hour!
1. I happen to be assigned to the room where the picture of Hudson, my doctor, and I is hanging on one of her memory boards where patients share their birth announcements and hospital pictures. I'm always tickled to see it there, and be reminded of the magical arrival of our baby. Seeing the picture reminded me of a college friend who years ago said, "Hey, I was at the doctors, and my husband saw our picture on the wall and pointed to it, then I looked up and saw YOU up there on the wall! I didn't know you went to Dr. D." Thinking of her reminded me how I haven't seen her in 2 or maybe 3 years, and she lives locally. When the flashback was over, I looked again at the picture and did a double take of the picture right next to us, I had to ask the doctor, "Is that the V. family?" "Yes it is!" Right next to us was the birth picture of one of Hudson's classmates, and the only reason I recognized the family is from just meeting the Dad earlier this month at his son's birthday party. The Dad has a very distinctive boy-like face, and when I saw the mom, I thought, "Yeah that could be her." Crazy, what are the odds, that we would not only be on the same board, but right on top of each other? And had I not gone to the party or been in that room it would have gone forever unknown.

2. Next I went for routine blood work, and the technician begins, "So I have to ask you..." and I'm thinking she's going to make a crack about my last name. She said, "Is your street in Creekwood?" turns out she grew up in our neighborhood! She was my age and moved when she was a teenager, so we played the "do you know?" game. I said, "Did you know the S's?" The family that we bought our house from. She said, "OH MY GOD You bought that house?" Turns out one of the 4 kids that grew up in our house, was her sister's first boyfriend  She fondly reminisced about the family, creek and neighborhood. Small world right, but wait there's more....

3. So I'm stepping out of the office, at that very moment, there passes the friend I haven't seen in 2-3 years mentioned in #1! What are the odds of that?! Turns out very good because she now works right across the hall from the doctor's, but still it was so weird to have just thought of her, then see her!

Here's what a love about Richmond; these things happen, but not all of the time :)

Comments