Yes it's Christmastime!

Our little elf.

Yes decorations, music, and Santa's arrival at local malls have started earlier this year. I think this has brought out the Scrooge in everyone! I hear a lot of "We need to celebrate Thanksgiving first." I don't really understand this defense; can we not plan two meals at once, two gatherings at once, enjoy both? I really like Thanksgiving; the gathering, pot luck, the parade, expressing gratitude and the many pumpkin products, but let's be real, Christmas requires more planning and time.
Our Thanksgiving Decorations
 Let's take a moment to think about all we do for Christmas that most people I know DO NOT do for Thankgiving;
  • buy gifts, lots and lots of gifts for 20+ people, 
  • Wrap those dozens of presents
  • have multiple parties for the month leading up to the holiday that require some-type of effort like making something, bringing something, or traveling there
  • have a family portrait taken
  • send greeting cards
  • visit parks and neighborhoods to see the decorations
  • bring down ALL of the Christmas decorations and put up said decorations
Seriously, Christmas is a lot of work! I for one like to plan ahead, and to take it SLOW so I can enjoy it all. I've started the shopping, we're planning the parties, the family portrait is planned, and we brought down the decorations last night and put most of them up. What's wrong with getting excited? 


Checking out a local train display.
Traditionally, it's the day after Thanksgiving; decorations came out in the stores, Santa arrives at the mall, and some radio stations play Christmas music 24-7. Around these parts, decorations came out before Halloween at some stores (Walmart and Target), Santa arrived at the mall last weekend and Christmas music started last week sometime. In my opinion, you can choose to look the other way if you're not ready, but if you're like me, getting started early helps keep the joy in the season.
Those of you that are hating on people that put their tree up before Thanksgiving, let me ask you this; have you started your lists, travel arrangements, menus, shopping, etc.? Probably you've been made aware Christmas is coming and there's stuff you have to do, so what's the big deal about putting up decorations and actually showing your excitement instead of being  a bah humbug about it?! I wonder if you're just dreading all that you have to do, and are mad that some people are ahead? I have no problem admitting I wish I could start my shopping in July like my in-laws but I'm not that together. (Those same in-laws however, refuse to decorate before Thanksgiving.)


We were not able to hang stocking on our mantle last year!
I for one, am proud to share we put our tree up last night, I love seeing it every morning, and reflecting on our collective lifetime of ornaments. I like seeing the stockings to remind me of what will fit in them, but most of all it's nice to have the anticipation, and think of all of the fun that is to come.
Please share your thoughts, I'm off to do some online shopping while the boys sleep on.
Love, M

Our tree with its guardians below.

Comments

  1. Love the tree and the attitude! Those stockings look great :). XXOO Pam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment