It's been a year

I'm a sentimental, reflective person and every anniversary, birthday, or life event I take a few minutes to think about what has changed, what is the same, and how I'm a different person. I try to stay positive and think of what I've gained and learned. This time last year, we endured an earthquake and hurricane, I changed jobs, and my aunt moved in to my house. Since then my aunt has moved out, the job has changed again (sort of), and our chimney and home has been put back together. All of these pretty major life events, pale in comparison to what my high school English teacher has been through in the last year.

One year ago, her 12 year old son Jack was swept away by a surging creek turned river. Anna arrived at the scene just seconds too late. It was the second day of school. Anna was a successful blogger before the accident, but like thousands of others, I didn't learn of her blog until after the accident. The past twelve months she has processed what has happened, how her life has changed for her, her husband, and their pre-teen daughter. There are occasional laughs but mostly tears. I think her pain would not hit me so deep if I didn't have a son, and a son that appears to have some things in common with Jack. A son that doesn't take risks, a son that is reflective, a son whose favorite activities include building with Legos and doing puzzles. When I look at my son, and gobble up every minute with him, when I work so hard to teach him manners,  be a critical thinker and be a caring person, my heart  sinks because I think of Anna and think how she did all of those things too, and for what? People use the mantras; "Everything happens for a reason." "He's with God now." And while those may be true, it still truly sucks that it has happened, there's is still an emptiness. It still affects this family, and many more, on a daily, constant basis.
I guess I wanted to share her story as a reminder to be grateful everyday, there may be things that you don't have, things you wish would change, things that seem unfair, but you never know when a greater hardship is coming. I'm slowly learning that everyone suffers with something significant at some point in their lives; I'm trying to remember that it will pass sometime, and life will get brighter again, and when I'm not in that time, I'm trying to be more grateful and lend my spare brightness and strength to those that need it.

Comments