Finally Slowing Down!

HI all! I live, and do more than read books! I've thought about blogging just about every single day of the last six months. On January 9th I began working full time again, in fact, more than full time. I was finally where I wanted to be as an independent contractor (15 appointments a week), when I decided to take a part-time job (24 hours)for the county I live in. The pay would be considerably less, but it would be stable, I'd be part of a team, and it would be closer to home, as the driving did not take long to become tiresome. My work days were 10 or more hours a day, five days a week. I knew I didn't want to keep up at this pace, but for now it will be fine, and I knew it would drop off in a few months as kids aged-out.
I am so thrilled with the part time work, and in May they asked me to take on 8 more hours to cover a colleague's medical leave. I was happy to oblige since my independent work had dwindled to 5 appointments a week. I've been thinking wistfully of free time, and the projects at home that have been accumulating. Until that happens, I'll keep finding balance and slowing down.



So what brings me to write today? I'm on vacation in the Outer Banks, and have been all week! My husband and I are great travel companions and we truely relax on vacation. Last summer we did not get away at all because I was changing jobs, my aunt was moving in, and so much felt unknown. In March I set out to book a place to ensure we took a vacation, just the three of us, this year. Our heart was set on the Outer Banks, it's an easy 3.5 hour drive, and we've been enough to know we love it, but not enough to be tired of it. My requirements for the house/condo, were; at least two bedrooms so that we would all get a full nights sleep, a washer and drier, central air conditioning and at least an easy walk to the water. After hours of trolling, I found a two bedroom duplex on the bay. The listing boasted kayaks, walking path to the bayside beach, and access to a community pool and playground. The price was very reasonable so we booked it for this week, the week before the prices raise considerably.



I've been preparing for months, daydreaming and making a list on my phone of what to pack. It helped that we came in April for a group trip and the house didn't have any of the basic household needs like toilet paper or hand soap. I was so annoyed to have to go to the store and buy them when we had so much at home we could have brought. That's when I started the list! I shopped the week before and bought a beach bag, beach towels and some water toys. For the rest of the week, I gathered things to go and checked them off my list. We packed almost everything into the car on Friday night and left before 8 am on Saturday Morning.
For a six hour road trip in February, I bought a personal DVD player for Hudson to use in the car. So many people say they resist technology, but a DVD player in the car is something that I really wish was around for my 5-10 hour rides up 95 every summer. For me it was torture, and I probably would have been a lot more pleasant if I had a movie to keep me entertained for at least part of the time!
We resisted turning on the movie but after about 1.5 we folded in the interest of a little quiet! We love our son dearly but hearing the same questions over and over gets tiring! It was basically the old, "Are we there yet?" in Hudson terms, "Where's the train?" because we were riding parallel to tracks, and "Where's the beach?" because we'd been talking up the trip all week.
We arrived at 11:40, with no traffic and ready for lunch! I'm going to end here, in case nap time ends abruptly!

Comments