My I-addiction

I'm late to the smart phone generation, well, that goes without saying! When did they come out? 4 or 5 years ago? I don't know, but I do know, I'm one of the last to join the club. Even my relatives in their 60's had one before me! Anyway, I've been counting down the days until my contract was up this month. I know, plenty of people break their contract but I was just avoiding spending the extra money. Ted got a smart phone for work in April, so we've been surviving by sharing his. Finally Christmas came up and Ted said he had been researching smart phones and which one can handle both MP3 and WMA files. I listen to hours upon hours of audiobooks a week so it would be super-convenient to have one device that can handle both and the world (of free down-loadable books from the library) would be mine! The winner, the only phone with this capability, Iphone 4S!
Now I am one of those horrible people that takes their phone in the bathroom to play Words with Friends, my current obsession.

It's not all fun and games though, my phone has helped reduce the clutter in my life! It replaced the memo pad that I kept with me all the time with various lists; to do list, to buy, wish list, etc. Now I use the notes icon and it's so nice not having those little bits of paper everywhere and scribbling out items, and having to rewrite the list, etc.

It replaced my MP3 player. Now I just use one device that both charges my phone, and transfers the audio to my car radio, sweet! I put audiobooks right on my phone through Itunes.
It replaced my pocket calendar. This is probably what I was most excited about! Having a digital, easy to navigate, always available calendar to keep track of my different-every-day schedule! I LOVE google calendar, and love even more that it updates on my PC too, so efficient, so easy, LOVE it!!


I love being able to update my Netflix queue with iQueue free, and I can even update my blog, yeah! My hope is to do more wordless Wednesday posts in this way.

There's a few things I am NOT in love with! I really miss having arrow keys available when typing. Inevitability I have a typo when typing and it can be time consuming and irritating to get the cursor on the right spot! I'm hoping with time I'll perfect the technique! I am also not a fan of the pre-installed navigation (google maps); the screen doesn't refresh, there's no audio, or text directions, so basically you have to stop your car or be very distracted trying to follow your blue dot on the screen and keep your blue dot on the screen mind you! I having a hard time understanding why the good people at Apple thought this was acceptable! (So far I'm happy with the free application, Telenav.

If you're wondering why I haven't been reading blogs or reading books lately, I mostly blame words with friends and my seven simultaneous games! I feel smarter, but my efficiency has taken a hit when I play instead of do my work. Speaking of work, I'll update soon with all that new, I NEED to get back to my games, oh I mean, to bed!

PS Please share your favorite apps, I'm always up for another distraction :)

Image source 1, 2, 3, 4


Comments