Book Notes: Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules

Children Playing Before a Statue of HerculesChildren Playing Before a Statue of Hercules by David Sedaris

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


I accidentally gave this 5 stars, confusing it, I think with an Augusten Burroughs story about playing with a 6 ft tall Santa--TOTALLY not the same story! I downloaded this for a roadtrip thinking it would provide 3 hours (short little ditty) of entertainment for my husband and I. Too bad the only thing by Sedaris in the book is the intro,which I admit, was the best part. This is infact an Anthology of his favorite stories by other authors. I was willing to go along with this, but I found almost all of the stories annoying with no closure. I often feel like reading Sedaris there is arrogance to him, and I think this collection just proves it; he chose stories that go on and on, and the reader is left thinking, "What was the point of that? I must be an idiot because I don't get it and David Sedaris thinks this is great." I think I'm done with Sedaris, unless he finds new ways to talk about his childhood which was his best work, in my opinion.



View all my reviews

Comments

  1. Love that this was a brutally honest review!! I think Sedaris' funniest work was Holidays on Ice. Haven't found much I liked as well after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dianne, It's a good time to reread that one in anticipation of the holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment