COVID-19 Update, July 1, 2021

I've written about COVID a lot in the past 15 months, here's the latest. 

I haven't written in months, but I've been thinking over the last few weeks, how this is a pivotal time that I will probably soon forget. I wanted to provide a little snapshot that doesn't seem significant right now, but I think over the years and decades, we and future generations will wonder what it was like during this time of transition. 

So much time spent just like this, gaming around the kitchen table while the messy counter can wait. 

Right now in my house, I've been fully vaccinated for 5 months, Ted for less than two months, and Hudson for less than a month. Many of the mask mandates have been lifted for people that are fully vaccinated. Experts hoped this would push hold-outs to get the vaccine, but I think it will just mean the people that didn't want to wear a mask OR get a vaccine will just take their masks off. Some say we need to trust the vaccine, and take off the mask. In the last few months I've gathered with friends and family, inside, without masks. It felt so significant at first, but after a few minutes it was as if no time had passed. What I find strange is not really knowing "Who's with me" anymore. There are friends that really became closer through all of this, but going out and about now, we can't tell who was pro-mask and who wasn't, it is harder to tell what selfishness lies beneath. 

Now, outings are murky, most places we can take our masks off, but honestly I still wear my mask in stores, the library, basic errands, etc. I don't need to share my face with everyone, and it almost feels like a mark of solidarity for those fellow pro-maskers or those that were not able to get the vaccine and are still vulnerable. 

I had thought that people that refused to wear a mask would be the first to line up for the vaccine. I had thought the vaccine was SO American; a quick fix, just take a shot and be done with it, poof, Pandemic over. It seems that many of the same folks that didn't want to wear a mask, also don't want the vaccine. I'm not sure how they think this will be over, I guess some never thought it was real to begin with. 

As strange as it was to see everyone in masks 14 months ago, now it's equally strange to see people's faces again. At times I miss the mask because I didn't have to worry about my facial hair, bad breath or stuff in my teeth! Everyone has funny stories about meeting people with masks on, and months later, seeing them with their mask off, and they look totally different than imagined. 

Gathering in person with close friends, so very precious!

Over the past month or so, I've seen plexiglass shields come down, and most significantly, samples at Costco are back!!!! For about a year, Costco employees stood at their carts, to tell customers about products as if they were handing out samples, only they were just talking, it felt so sad and pathetic. My friend pointed out, at least they still have jobs. But I for one, am thrilled that the samples are back! 

Our updated living room, new couch and updated kids' art wall!

Sometime in the past month or so we let kids come in our house again. It almost brought tears to my eyes, hearing the banter, patter, squeals of children other than my own in our home. There are about 10 neighborhood kids that come in regularly (which I love), and it was precious seeing a few of them move from room to room in wonder; 'I haven't been in here for SO LONG!!!!' The kids rooms and our living room changed a lot in that time, the kids both got lofts, and we got a new couch and rearranged the living room. The new gaming system is also a big draw! 

Our update pet status, four fish!


Around May I realized I needed to find things for the kids to do this summer. This was the first summer I needed to find camps and activities for BOTH kids. Last summer no one was doing anything by way of camps or activities. The summer before that (2019), Sadie was still in her full time Pre-K daycare program, so she was set and I just needed to find camps for Hudson. Not only was I out of practice finding them camps and all of the stress that it entails, but I hadn't yet had to coordinate 2 kids! With Ted still working from home full time though, he doesn't feel as pressed to get them out of the house. We booked 6 weeks of their summer and still have 3 more that are open, but if Ted's not stressed about getting them out of his hair while he's trying to work, than I'll try not to be either. 

First food eaten out, Sweet Frog on the last day of school, June 17, 2021. 

Every little step feels like a move towards normalcy, a new normal anyway. 

Comments