COVID - 19, Week Three, March 29 - April 4, 2020

Not going to lie, this was a rough week. On Monday the Governor announced Shelter in Place orders until June 10. This didn't really change what we were doing, although it meant Ted would in fact be home at least until that time, and it meant there was no hope of community resources opening up before then. This also solidified the severity of the situation. We've been taking it seriously all along, but when unprecedented measures like this are taken, it's unbelievable that some people are still cavalier about it all.
Playing some kind of game on the back porch in PJs :) 

On Tuesday afternoon, while in the middle of a work call, I got an email that my contract for Early Intervention was being terminated as of April 30. This was not a shock as Ted read a headline the night before that 500 County Government Employees were being furloughed. Another change, another life as we know it change. Fortunately I am not the main earner of the family, and fortunately this means I will be able to give my kids and the house more of my attention. The last few months I've felt split in many directions, and this just takes one factor off the table. Honestly this wasn't as devastating as something that happened at work back in November and it didn't consume me. Although I do love my work, and there's no guarantees of when I'll be able to get back to it.
Our sweet realtor dropped off some cookies! 

On Friday I went to take my car to the Tire shop because I spotted a nail in one after two trips showed Low Tire Pressure, and refilling them did not help. The puncture was so deep it needed to be replaced. Also my Tire Key broke in the process so I need to buy a new one of those. Also Ted was on a work call at the same time and will be getting a 10% pay cut, also his current contract is up in June and if he's not assigned a new contract he will be furloughed. Oye! Can we get one week with no new surprises? With no negative news? All of this is out of our hands, but when a lot happens at once it can feel like a slap.
Sadie's invented science project; small rocks, food dye, fridge then freezer, who knew it would turn out so cool!?


This was our third week at home and I'm trying to be more present than ever but damn it's exhausting. I used to have so much time alone, so much QUIET time, I really needed that to feel at my best for everyone else. Now there's no space, no quiet time, constantly on. It really hit me how drastically nearly everything about daily life has changed for me and the kids. Ted is working from home which is a change, but otherwise his work is pretty much the same. We roll with it for so long but finally on Thursday and Friday I had moments of saying "ef it!" I sat down in the middle of the day and watched an episode of Nailed It. Another day, Hudson and I read silently on the porch while Sadie played with magnatiles. Not "accomplishing" anything, not billable time, not on the millions of wonderful online resources, just breathing, being, and God forbid, relaxing. Every week there have been major whammies; home for 2 weeks, home for 4 weeks, home from school for 6 months, shelter in place for 2.5+ months plus, no job in 1 month, ahhhh!!!! It's an intense time for everyone.
Daily walks are a highlight of the day! 

I was talking to my aunts all week about the need to visit my Grandma. I knew her pill case would be empty at the end of the week and I felt terrified of inadvertently exposing her. Even though my exposure is quite limited to a weekly grocery trip. They both really encouraged and reassured me, and while I was apprehensive, I also welcomed the breather from the responsibilities of home! I really hustled when there, there were many chores and to-do's. I'm used to be there 7 hours a week instead of 3-4 hours every 2 weeks. She was less animated than usual and I'm hoping it's just the lack of social interaction. Otherwise she is feeling healthy and fine, and rather enjoying having 3 meals delivered a day!
Visiting Granny, incredibly grateful she is healthy and well!

Some pluses; We've been having wonderful walks every night and I'm getting more exercise than usual. The kids have wonderful stretches each day where they are cooperative, playing, and learning together. I've been cooking every night and we always have family meals, movies or games every night. Everyone in my family and extended family are healthy. When I shared my change in job status, friends and family were supportive and wonderful. We downloaded a kids messaging app, and the kids have been having fun video chatting with friends and family!
Swinging into a new week!!


Comments