COVID-19 Pre-Weeks, March 1 - 14, 2020

COVID - 19 or Coronavirus has been on my radar for months. In February, I started teaching for VIP Kid. This is a company based in China which hires native English speakers to teach English to children in China. I quickly learned it was a GREAT time to start teaching for this company because many of the children, unfortunately, were home due to Coronavirus and were therefore accessing more classes. I was off to a running start, but felt badly for these children and their families being cooped up inside, worried about their family and their health, the uncertainty of it all.

In January I started volunteering once a week in Sadie's classroom, and I noticed, week after week that the kids did not wash their hands before going straight to lunch. This bothered me, but I always try to think the best of teachers. I couldn't remember if hand sanitizer was on the school supply list, and I was remembering how when I taught kindergarten, I just put a squirt in everyone's hands as they lined up for lunch. This was not perfect, but certainly better than nothing. On March 4th I asked the teacher if she had hand sanitizer, and she said she wasn't allowed to use it. Kids could bring in their own, but county policy was teachers can not apply it. I emailed the assistant principal for clarification, feeling that anyone, an educator or not, would be surprised to hear kids are not washing or sanitizing their hands before lunch. She got back to me, and long story short, she said they were going to talk about this at a staff meeting on Monday (March 9). When I went in again on Wednesday, March 11, I spoke to both the teacher and AP and both said the teachers were reminded that kids need to wash their hands even if it takes from instructional time. I felt victorious in this, and grateful that my schedule recently changed, allowing me to have this time in the classroom. Also we got clarification on what type of hand sanitizer is allowed (alcohol based, perfume-, fragrance-, aloe-, dye- free). By this time, I had visited at least 8 stores looking for hand sanitizer with no success, so that point was mute!


On Thursday, March 12, the county announced there would be no school on Friday, March 13, as teachers would have a work day to plan for remote learning. I spent that day with my aunt for her 75th Birthday, and went to the grocery store for my grandmother, the tone at the store was palpable. It felt like post 9/11 feeling of foreboding, and pre-hurricane, blizzard prepping. On Tues. March 10, my grandmother's building announced much stricter limitations on visitors (understandably so), and I knew I wouldn't bring the kids over on Friday. Ted was already working from home indefinitely at this time. His work cancelled travel starting the previous week, and on Monday they tested the VPN from home to make sure everyone could log on remotely. On Wednesday (3/11) they announced everyone needs to work from home indefinitely.

Friday, March 13, Midmorning the county announced schools would be closed for two weeks. We ran some errands like going to the library to get some books and movies for the week, and the Dollar Tree for a few little activities.

Saturday, March 14, Ted had already made plans for us to see his mom in Fredericksburg. Of course COVID was on the mind, and a topic of conversation, but I didn't feel badly going to a restaurant downtown, and going in and out of shops. I thought, "We're not going to hug people or stand too close, we feel fine, etc." I was surprised at how many others were downtown too, but I guess we were all thinking the same. It was a beautiful day with the sense of Spring welcome with so much other foreboding news.

Sunday, March 15, in the morning the kids went out to play, I thought, "Well they're not in huge groups, they will be outside, it's fine." While they were out playing I texted the other moms in the neighborhood, two of whom were already homeschooling families. I asked what time they did school work, and if they were fine having the kids play together. One mom, 35+ weeks pregnant said that she was keeping her kids in for now, the other moms and I talked about the kids playing together in the afternoon. By that same afternoon though, I was having second thoughts. I was reading more online and felt like this wasn't a responsible choice. The next day or so I messaged them and said we had reevaluated the situation and would be keeping our kids in.

This was a tough decision. I absolutely LOVED that my kids were having what I consider an ideal childhood; out running around with neighborhood kids, mostly playing outside for hours on end. They were negotiating working together, sometimes having disagreements, taking care of each other, creating their own play. As much as I loved this time for them I also loved it for ME! I was able to get so much done when they were occupied. I loved when they were out, but I also loved having all of the kids over! I loved hearing their conversations, and giddiness. This was a difficult decision that proved even more difficult in the coming weeks.





Comments