Thank you Wildtree

Earlier this week, Wildtree announced it would be closing up shop in a few months time. This stunned reps and fans as there seemed to be no warning and all of the representatives that make their livelihood selling the products were blindsided. The products immediately went into "While supplies last" creating a buying frenzy, (and havoc for representatives no doubt). I left Wildtree in January of this year, due in part to their changes in business practices. My first thought honestly was an evil "ha ha" laugh, as I didn't like the changes they were making. Perhaps all of the changes were a desperate attempt to get in the black. My next thought, was all of the reps. Mostly women, who make their money selling Wildtree were just as stunned by the announcement. Blindsided that they will be working frantically for the next month or so then poof, they are jobless, and need to find another venture. I know the sisterhood that they have will not disappear, in fact it may be even more solidified, but I can't imagine the feeling of selling for a company, feeling that you are a valued part of the team, and then having them just shut down doors with no explanation to their loyal representatives. Wildtree products are sold exclusively through their Representatives, so the Reps are an absolutely essential part of the business.  I feel like it leaves a bitter taste when companies suddenly disappear, and we're left to wonder, "What was really going on? What really happened?" We may never know. I've placed a big stock-up order of some of our favorites and will enjoy Wildtree products for probably a few more years, then it will all be over. Instead of feeling sad and bitter though, I wanted to take a few minutes to reflect on all that Wildtree has done for me and my family.

The beginning
I joined Wildtree, a Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) company in March 2015. I was skeptical of MLM's but when I heard about making meal times less stressful and more healthy I had to be brave and give it a try. At that time the kids were 5 and 1, and dinner time was the absolute WORST. I was trying to make dinner before Ted got home with both kids hanging on me. I just wanted to shove whatever I could in everyones mouths so we could move on to bedtime! We would all be cranky and then I would feel like a bad mommy for serving them less than stellar meals. It really felt like a time of survival. After I went to my first party, I was hooked. Their main model at that time was making freezer meals, assembling gallon size ziplock bags to put in the freezer, with simple directions for prepping them on busy evenings. Finally a solution to the crankiness and stress of weeknights.

I would buy meat in bulk and spend an evening assembling meals with the music on. It was so empowering and felt like the world shifted when I was able to come home, and look forward to prepping and eating dinner!



I was so hooked, that I quickly signed on a Rep myself! At that time, there was a $50 Representative Kit (which had over $250 of products) and that was the extent of my obligation! There was no minimum sales, required training etc., and my mind soared with possibilities. I spent HOURS every night reading through the trainings, learning about the mechanics, website and products, I started building my business by hosting and scheduling parties. It was all so exciting! People were excited about the products and I was earning commissions and FREE products. It felt empowering to have the freedom to make it what I wanted, do it in my own way, and create something for us. We were eating better than ever, and I finally felt like I could feed my family healthy, tasty, satisfying, cost-effective meals, which was a total win!
A typical party spread, I loved getting the boxes full of products, sorting and labeling! This is about $500 of products
Just one of the hundreds of pictures I took of my Wildtree meals to post on Instagram and Facebook. 


One day in the summer of 2015 I happened upon another Wildtree representative at a farmers market, we got to talking and she offered to help me get started tabling at farmers markets and events. She helped me when there was nothing in it for her, she wasn't in my upline. This was my first dose of the sisterhood of MLM's. Where you bolster each other, and help each other without competition. You want to see the other soar.
My first time selling at a market, October 2015. 
I helped out at her farmers market a few times, then for over a year, had my own farmers market I tabled at. Some days were great and some days weren't but every day I learned something new, about how to talk about a product, how to sample, when to say more and when to stay quiet. I loved seeing people taste the products and being amazed when they read the label! At that time, Wildtree had half price bundles every month, I would buy 5-6 sets, and sell the products at retail, cutting a nice profit, it felt like I was winning!

Honestly with all of this I enjoyed the breaks from the relentless work of mommying young children. Even a busy farmers market felt quiet compared to shrieking children or hearing "mommy" 500 times an hour. Parties too, while a lot of work, and stressful leading up to them, were a wonderful few hours of adult time which I desperately needed at the time.



Through 2015-2017 I did weekly farmer's markets, until the summer of 2017 when traffic at the farmers market had slowed to a stop and it no longer seemed worth my time. There were days when practically no one came out, and the market was moved to Thursday afternoons OUTSIDE in a parking lot, it was horribly hot and uncomfortable, plus with no sales, I stopped going. I did miss chatting with the other vendors, and getting my fresh fish, veggies and eggs each week from them. It's quite possible I spent all of my earnings on other vendors, but it all felt so wholesome and wonderful.

It was about this time interest in parties stalled. Wildtree made some structural changes where reps needed to sell at least $350 a quarter to stay active. While this annoyed many, I understood it. Many  people had signed on to be reps just to enjoy the wholesale discount themselves. It made sense that they wanted reps that would work the business at least a little bit. When this change took effect, I had quarterly parties at my house and was always able to make the minimum requirements.

In the summer of 2017 I discovered doterra, and shortly after joining as a customer, I signed on as a rep aka "Wellness Advocate" as I was loving their products, and unlike Wildtree, signing on with doterra just required filling in my social security number so I could take my time with it. As the months progressed, I had significantly more enthusiasm for doterra than Wildtree. Additionally Wildtree instituted a $15 monthly fee for all reps. For months I would hold my own sales, cutting into my profits just to cover this fee. It seemed absurd to charge representatives for selling their own products. I set a timeline for being able to cover the monthly fee. Since I had so many products on hand from the farmers market, I really didn't need to buy any products for myself. I was basically holding on to the membership as a service to others until one day I had an AHA moment, "Everyone can get these products without me, I can give them the name of another rep, I don't have to do this anymore!"

Sending the email to my customers in December 2018 and closing my account was incredibly freeing and perhaps as a result my doterra business began to soar. I can't forget that Wildtree was my gateway MLM and I learned so much about myself, business, marketing, creating, selling, organizing scheduling, independence, tracking and strategizing from my start with them. I'm so grateful I was invited to a Wildtree party in January 2015, that I formed friendships with my upline Grace, and the farmers market matron, Jean. I went to training events that sparked ideas for new strategies and goals. While my team never grew beyond a few members that became reps for the discount, and didn't even come close to earning reward trips, this possibilities were invigorating. Thank you Wildtree for your 22 years in business, and for giving so many (mostly women) a chance to dream!

Comments