(Trying to) Fit In After A Move

We moved after the school year started. This was a big deal to some, but our kids, specifically the one in elementary school said he didn't mind. We were talking from July on about changing neighborhoods and schools, and consistently he didn't mind (much to my surprise frankly!). We listed our house the Wednesday before Labor Day. We knew it would be a busy time, but we were ready in every way and there are advantages to listed during a non-peak time. We tried our best to get our son off to the best start possible on the school year, knowing that we might not get to move right away, and it's very possible he'd stay at the school the whole year anyway! In fact, our realtor said she expected our house to sit for six months.



The very first couple to see the house put an offer in and we closed on October 25, 2018. We closed on the house we were buying on October 17, 2018. It was a busy month and our children certainly did not get our full attention! They started at their new schools on October 22, and had great first days.


My Mom-anxiety however was definitely heightened; "What if I don't fit in? What if I feel pressure to do more, be more? What if everyone is fancier than I am? What if the kids look like slobs compared to the other children? What if they suddenly want more, more expensive clothes and toys? What are the norms at the bus stop, or walking around the neighborhood?" I was trying to project confidence for my kids, I didn't want them to feel this anxiety. Ted thought I was being ridiculous. He pointed out we are not in the most expensive neighborhood, and that I had nothing to worry about it.
I didn't feel as much stress about my daughter's preschool, they do so much to keep parents in the loop, and explained everything on the welcome tour and in the enrollment paperwork.

However at my son's school, I registered him at least 2 weeks before we moved. When I arrived his first day, we were walked down to the classroom, and the teacher had no idea we were coming. I was upset, I did everything I could to make this a smooth transition for him, and here she was needing to scrabble to get a desk for him, etc., when she was already busy getting ready for the day. I know how this is as a teacher and I was upset for her. I also knew this could be directed at my son even though it's in no way his fault that the office didn't communicate. As the weeks went on I kept feeling like I was missing something, "How do I join the PTA? Is there a class website? What's expected of the kids for homework?" I thought a simple packet would be so easy for the office to assemble and hand to new families, information like; a directory of teachers, PTA info, the Facebook page, how to get on the weekly phone call messages and emails from the principal, etc. I had to figure all of this out on my own and still felt like I was missing info.
Icy trees, taken from the bus stop one January morning.

About six week after we started, I emailed the teacher that he was sick, and in her reply she explained, "Just so you know, he's not turning in any of his work." I had no idea. I logged on to the countywide parent portal (which I've never done honestly, I didn't think I needed to), and four out of five grades were F's! Why wasn't I informed earlier?! I was livid! To me this meant he was struggling and we need to help him. I wasn't concerned that the content was too difficult for him, but obviously something was really going on. After I calmed down, I emailed the teacher, and we have been in closer communication ever since. This just validated feeling like I was missing something and didn't really know what was going on.
One of the docks off a trail in our neighborhood.

I know the year will get better, and I feel confident that next year, when we start with everyone else, I'll feel more in the loop. Overall we are very pleased with the schools, both have better communication (except for the example above), and have family events every month. It's a lot easier to feel connected to the schools and other families. Hudson is still not gushing about any of his friends at school, but it takes him a long time to settle in and make friends anyway.
The same dock as above, showing the playground behind it. 

The neighborhood has been nothing but welcoming! Even from the walkthrough, Hudson was running around with the 10+ kids in the neighborhood. There are more than 20 kids just on our circle, but 7 that are out and about often that are encouraged to play outside as much as possible. I love that my two were welcomed with open arms and are regular guests in their homes, as their kids are in mine. On snow days, we've hosted the families for dinner, and have really enjoyed getting to know our new neighbors. Interestingly enough, we are in a community with a Home Owners Association (HOA) and just like with the school, I thought we'd get a welcome packet with information. It's been 3 months and we still haven't. Oh well, I guess we'll hear if we're out of compliance or need to pay.
Snow storm in December 2018

I've joined my local Buy Nothing group and that's been a fun way to meet neighbors, and see the very large neighborhood (over 3500 homes). We've explore a tiny percentage of the over 15 miles of trails through the neighborhood and can't wait for warmer weather to do some more.

Overall we are VERY happy here, and even with these hiccups, this was a great move for us.

Comments