Hudson's 7th Birthday

Saturday, February 20, 2016

About a month before his birthday we started asking Hudson what he wanted to do for his birthday. He immediately said, "Go to Washington, DC!" He was learning about the White House, Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument in school and was so excited to go SEE them! I was thrilled because we would be spending time together, having an experience rather than focusing on stuff and cake, and the details of a party!

 Friday night, we drove up about 4 PM and got to my parents house in Falls Church at about 6. This was earlier than usual because we knew Ted needed to work from 10 PM to 2 AM that night, but we wanted to come up on Friday rather than Saturday. Ted ended up working from 10 PM to nearly 5 AM, which really screwed us all up! The kids didn't sleep well, so I didn't sleep well, and Ted obviously didn't get much sleep. Donuts were in order! The (apparently) world famous Astro Donuts, is a mile from my parents house, so I got a dozen. There's nothing like sugar, fat overload when you're otherwise tired and cranky! They were perfect!
The kids played and we let Ted sleep. About 11 AM we were getting in the car to go to DC and Hudson seemed cranky and annoyed. I said, "This is your day, if you don't want to go to DC we don't have to. We'll do whatever you want!" He said, "I just want to stay home and rest!" Say no more kiddo!

At about 1, Ted, Hudson and I headed out to Udvar-Hazy Center to see the Space Shuttle and an IMAX. We didn't feel like messing with DC and he was excited about the airplanes. Sadie stayed home to nap with the grandparents. It was such a treat to go out just the three of us!



We came home and had a birthday dinner of Wildtree tacos and Chocolate pound cake made by my sister in Law. It was perfect!

The next morning, Ted, Hudson and Grandpa went to see Star Wars, which was a treat for all three! We had some lunch and came home in time to do the normal chores and errands. 

Disclaimer! Life has been so busy and wonderful I didn't have any presents for Hudson until Friday afternoon! I was going to a large grocery store for my grandma's shopping, and shopped their toy and candy section. Hudson was none the wiser and seemed happy with the bargin selections! Score! It's funny how sometimes we put such a high value on the gifts, invitations, party, etc., and sometimes we don't and we freak out, but somehow it all turns out okay!

Sunday, February 28, 4:30 - 6:30 we had a family gathering at our house for Ted's side of the family (and my Aunt who is local). Again I did super simple. I envisioned "make your own pizza night" but to make it super simple, I picked up 3 take and bake cheese pizzas from Costco. I sauteed some onions, mushrooms, sausage and had some pineapple available. Everyone dressed a section of the pizza for their family and everyone seemed happy. I made some Wildtree dips and put out a bunch of veggies. Pam brought a fabulous fruit salad. I'm getting pretty disgusted by what's in grocery store cakes and mixes so I made one from scratch. For some reason the neighbor kids were super excited to help, which made Hudson help too. It was extra special to have some many hands (in)volved, and they really enjoyed eating it up! 

Hudson and our neighbor Alex helping make Hudson's cake

 A few cousins, a sibling and one fabulous grandma.
 Hudson actually reading his card.
 Hudson loves his homemade scarf, a loving tribute to his favorite stuffed animal, lucky the lion.
 The cake with two cuties. Slightly lopsided, but still delicious.
The magic moment. 

For previous birthday accounts please click here

Comments