Sick days: a brief history

I remember when I was a kid, being sick didn't bring coddling, my parents just took me to work with them. I slept in the conference room, colored on white boards,  and got to watch the small black and white TV. Being sick was little more than an annoyance!

When I was in grad school I lost my voice and I remember whispering to the 4 year olds, "Let's all use our tiny voices since I don't feel well today" how well do you think that worked?! That's when I learned not to push myself, the kids will be fine without me. No one cares if I'm sick, I need to put myself first.

Now, 10 years later, I hardly get sick, I chalk it up to valuing sleep, keeping my stress low, overexposure to germs and having a healthy diet.

Ha, ha, such a fool I am! Here I sit, home for the 6th work day in a row sick! If someone had said they were home for a week with a virus, I would have thought they were weak, unhealthy and possibly lying. But nope, here I am, laying around all day wondering why I still don't have a voice after 4 days, wondering is something really wrong, or what if nothing's wrong and I'm just mental? Earlier in the week Dr. Google informed me I had the flu and possibly strep throat. Yep that would explain it. I went to the actual doctor and I don't have either of those or anything else diagnosable. Leaving me to wonder what is wrong.

I should probably just relax and remember the version of pink eye that I got in September, it lasted 7 weeks, needed 3 prescriptions and 5 doctor visits . I don't get sick often, but when I do, it's a humbling ride.

On the bright side, I've lost 5 pounds and have been enjoying the coffee and cookies ice cream I bought for myself. Mmmm! I've also been keeping myself busy watching Hart of Dixie and reading Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain.

At this point I just hope to be well for Sunday, I can't wait to see the kids egg hunting together. :)

Comments