I did that!!

Something happened last week that made me giddy with excitement, I did not take the time in the busyness of Thanksgiving to post about it.  I usually roll with things, see the positive, etc., but the email below stirred me to action: 

First we got this email, I've removed personal information but the rest is as is: 

From: xxx
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:35 PM
To: County All
Subject: Holiday


As we approach the end of another year, the Board of Supervisors would like to recognize county employees for their tireless commitment to excellence in public service.  You have all worked hard to maintain a level of customer service our residents have come to expect and appreciate, and the Board of Supervisors and I want you to know how much we appreciate your hard work and dedication.

I am happy to announce that the Board of Supervisors granted yesterday full-time employees two additional holidays this season—Friday, December 26, 2014, and Friday, January 2, 2015.  County offices will now be closed December 24-26, 2014, and January 1-2, 2015.

Please be aware that December 26, 2014, remains a pay day; and January 2, 2015, remains the cutoff date for employees to use annual leave and PTO in excess of approved annual limits.  Employees who normally receive holidays as leave accrual will receive an additional sixteen hours of leave added to their annual or PTO balance after the cutoff date, that may be used any time in 2015.

On behalf of the Board of Supervisors, thank you for all you do.  May you and your families have a safe and happy holiday season.

XXX
County Administrator
---------
Sounds lovely right? Here was my email back: 

From: ME
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 4:12 PM
To: xxx
Subject: RE: Holiday

Dear xxx, I am a county employee in the XY Program. Nearly half of our staff (8/18) is part time. Some of us would love to be full time employees but that is not an option made available to us. Emails such as this one are bittersweet; we are happy for our coworkers, but it’s also a slap in the face, as if we are not appreciated or valued. Even four hours of paid time off would show goodwill and appreciation. I work 28 hours a week, 70% of full time, so to ask for 4 hours is a smaller percentage than the full time employees are receiving.

Thank you for your consideration,

ME
-------
 I did check with my supervisor before sending it, and he said 'Go for it.' I had that old teenage feeling of "I'm doing something bad but it feels really good!"

Not surprisingly I did not get a response. I felt proud of saying my peace, even if it fell on deaf ears. There were three people in my office that knew I sent this email, and one day walking in to work two people said, "CHECK YOUR EMAIL!"

From: XXX
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:30 AM
To: DEPARTMENT
Subject: Part time Leave Addition!
Importance: High

TO ALL PART TIME BENEFITS ELIGIBLE STAFF:

Last week the Board of Supervisors granted full-time employees two additional holidays.  The County Administrator would like to also recognize part-time county employees who put in many hours serving the citizens of XX County for their commitment to excellence in public service.  Therefore, all part-time, benefits-eligible employees will accrue an additional four hours of part-time leave on the December 12th paycheck that will be available for use with the pay period beginning December 6th.

Thanks you for all your hard work and enjoy your holidays!

 XX

------
I wanted to run around and say "I did that!" I have no idea if that is true, I never got a response, nor did this email acknowledge anything, but I like to think I did that!!! It feels  good to speak up, it feels good to be heard, it feels amazing to be appreciated.

Comments