September 11 (2014)

A few years ago I wrote about my 9/11, today I'm struck by how different it is living in Richmond. Most people down here did not have absolute fear for their lives that day, it was life changing but in a different way. As I went to the bus stop this morning and said, "It's a beautiful morning" the irony struck me later, that that's exactly what I said on that other 9/11 and I wasn't able to use that phrase again for a very long time. I think about how my five year old, and all children middle school age and younger, have absolutely no personal memory of that day, and it will just be an event that they learn about in history class. I usually spend some time reflecting on the fear I felt that day trying to get a hold of my mom and dad, mustering the courage to get on the Metro the only way I could get home. The absolutely silent, but packed subway car. Were all of the other commuters thinking they were going to be blown up at any moment too?

A lot has changed since that day. I'm not going to get into politics, environmental or global affairs, I mean in my own little world.

In these 13 years, I met, dated and married my husband, I became a mother (twice over!), I gained 4 sister in laws, 3 brother in laws, 8 nieces and nephews, my husband lost two grandparents, I moved 3 times, I changed jobs 5 times, my weight has changed over 160 pounds, family members had cancer, and dozens of friends got married and had babies too.

I still remember Peter Jennings crumbling on 9-1l, a very personal reminder that we are all human, and if Peter Jennings voice can crack than so can ours. On this 9-1l I'm reading Rare Bird by Anna Whiston Donaldson by my high school English teacher. Her son Jack was swept away in a backyard creek (not unlike my own) and was found in the most tragic way a few hours later. Her book reminds us, as 9/11 does, that our world can come crashing down in a second and all we can do is pick ourselves up and carry on.


I don't have a poignant conclusion available, all I can say is, hug your children extra tight tonight and try to be thankful for each day.

Comments