Five year old celebrations.



I believe in celebrating and making a big deal about birthdays. I don't think you have to spend a lot of money or get super stressed to make the honoree feel loved. Sure it takes some effort, but isn't it nice to take a break from the dishes every once in a while a plan a celebration?! (I've probably been doing that too much lately but that's another post!)

Hudson turned 5 on February 20, and we had a whole week of celebrations. Last year and this year I looked online at dozens of party site possibilities. In order to host a birthday party at a place or have something or someone special come to you, you're looking at at least $150, and if you're going to have food and cake, count on at least $200, and that doesn't count decorations, favors, or the gifts you're going to get for your child! For the last two years Hudson has talked about his birthday for MONTHS in advance! He'll share where he wants his birthday and who he wants to be there. This year, he started inviting kids at the grocery store to his party, so he's really come out of his shell!

Event 1: Birthday "Party" with Friends, Saturday, February 15

This year we had the easiest birthday 'party' possible! Hudson is super into Legos right now and the Lego Movie conveniently came out a few weeks before his birthday. Ted and I thought it would be fun to take him and some of his friends to the movie. Originally we had thought of doing this for the Monster Truck Jam or the Circus which both came to Richmond in February, but the logistics alone with car seats, meeting in the city, etc., were too much. Hudson was excited about the movie idea, so we went with it!

While in the past it was important to me to have paper invitations, I didn't care about that this year. This was good because one disadvantage to a movie theatre party is the movie schedule is not out for about a week before so I couldn't send parents an exact time or place.  Fortunately all of the parents were laid back, I sent an email about a month before with the date, approximate time frame, and asked if they would be interested/available. All six of Hudson's guests said yes and we met up without a hitch. As it turned out Hudson's grandparents came, and 3 of the parents wanted to stay too, so we had a more than one to one ratio on the kids!
I prepared goodie bags for each of the kids with a juicebox, some nut-free candy and granola bar, as well as some stickers and pencils. Major Mommy fail, I didn't make one for Hudson! I realized it on the way to the theatre and gently explained that the birthday boy doesn't get a good bag at his own birthday party--I felt terrible though! He was a great sport and gladly accepted a water bottle! The kids were talkative through the previews, but once the movie started there wasn't a peep! There wasn't even a potty break needed!
After the movie we took this picture and the kids went home! So easy! We just hosted our kids birthday party while getting to sit back and watch a movie, let me say again, so easy!!


We requested "no gifts." I waffled with this, I wasn't sure if it was rude or not. Hudson was overwhelmed at Christmas with stuff, and now I want to make Christmas and his birthday more about experiences. When we were on our way over I explained that I requested they not bring gifts, and that today was about having fun together. I wanted to give him a heads up because I feared an awkward moment; "Where's my present?" ...but he was totally fine with it!

In the end we spent well under $150 even with 6 kid tickets, 6 adult tickets, popcorn and goodie bags. (I could have done even better if I went to the theatre with the two for one coupons in my Entertainment book, maybe next time!)

Event 2: Hudson's Birthday, Thursday, February 20.
Hudson picked out some Oreos to bring to school for his birthday and I got some party hats and party blowers at Dollar Tree. That was it. I didn't feel the need to make a big deal at school because they just had their Valentine party two days before because of snow, and I know parties at school are more hassle for the teachers, PLUS it was one of Hudson's classmate's birthday's too, and I knew his mom was sending in stuff too.

Hudson also picked out what cake and frosting he wanted for his birthday cake. He picked a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting so I made the cake on Wednesday and we frosted it together on Thursday.

For a few days before his birthday, I told Hudson he could have anything he wanted for dinner on his birthday; McDonald's, Pancakes, ANYTHING! ..What did he request....This is the best part of the entire pos.; yogurt and Cherrios!!!! Is there anything easier than Cherrios and yogurt? I love this kid!!

He had cheerios and yogurt, and we enjoyed the Chocolate Cake!


Ted and I gave him the gifts from us/me. I got him a big backpack for Kindergarten, some school supplies (which he is gobbling up), a responsibilities chart, a Lego sticker book and a Lego Superhero Phonics book set. We spent less than $75 and he loved it, even the responsibility chart!
 I like having celebrations with the extended family, but I also treasure time with just the 4 of us.

Event 3: Family Birthday Party, Sunday, February 23


We decided to split up the family and friends celebrations because I didn't like not being able to spend time with family during his party last year. Our family has grown so much that just inviting Hudson's grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins is 16 adults and 9 kids (Hudson's the oldest). This is quite a crowd! The party was from 11-1, I got sandwich fixings, and made macaroni and cheese in the crock pot. Relatives offered to help and I graciously accepted! They brought the cake, fruit and veggies. I bought some little cars and birdhouses ($1 each) for the kids to paint, and decorated the house with banners we already had. I didn't bother with goodie bags, thinking the project was something the kids could take home. We ate and visited the first hour, and then did presents and cake. Around 12:45 we went outside, and most of the guests stayed another hour or so. It was a great party; very laid back but everyone seemed to have a nice time. It was nice that there was only about 7 presents to open--not too many to overwhelm or take too long!

Hudson with his beloved grandparents! A rare treat for all four to be together!


Here we are on party day!


I love this tradition of having guests sign the birthday mat. At some point we are not going to have room to display them all, but I just love the pictures and keepsake so much they they are all still on display!
Now I get to start thinking about the Sadie/Ted celebration in September!

Comments