New Jersey Getaway

'New Jersey' and 'Getaway' are not usually said together, and spending the weekend with your parents and 3 month old on a 5+ hour road trip may not sound like a getaway! I'm not exaggerating when I say it felt like a getaway, at least as much of a getaway as I want right now!

No driving: sure I had to drive to and from my parents house but to sit in the backseat with Sadie for many hours was a rare treat! I can only handle technology in small doses in the backseat, so there was not much to do other than play with Sadie, pump, look out the window, talk and snooze, kinda nice huh?!




No errands or chores: as much of a hassle traveling is, I usually find I'm more relaxed because I can't get any chores or errands done. Sure I have a long list at home but what's the point of even thinking about them?!



One child to take care of: having an infant seems like a lot of work until there are two kids! Now when I'm out with either kid and not both it seems so much more relaxing! Many times over the course of our 3 days I thought "Oh this is so nice without Hudson." You all know I love him dearly but you all also know how much energy a 4 year old boy has! This was especially evident in the morning when I got to sleep in and have slow, quiet
mornings. He would not have thrived in the long car rides or the amount of time spent inside. It's much more relaxing to be with an infant that doses every hour and a half!



There were also times when I thought, "Oh Hudson would love this!" Like the animals at a nearby garden center, a buffet of pasta at an engagement party, and a large playground on the unseasonably warm day!



Here was the reason for the whole trip; introducing my grandma to her youngest great grandchild. She has 9 grandchildren ages 44 to 23 (ish) and 9 great grandchildren (so far!) ages 21 (ish) to 3 months. At 92, she still sends home-made cards to all of the kids, grand kids, great grands and their spouses for birthdays and anniversaries, she is remarkable in so many ways!


There was also an engagement party for my cousin. I didn't take any pictures during the party, but here's a few of Sadie at the hotel post-party!






Overall Sadie was a super-trooper. We slept in a different place all three nights and she saw so many new faces and places. It was sometimes rough to get her to nap, but that's typical.

Here she's in her swaddle blanket snoozing on grandma's couch.



She slept most of the car trip, but sometimes I had to distract her with lots of toys.


Now it's back to work and the final few days of preparations!

Comments