Always an adventure; DC with little one

I had been saying for about six months I wanted to take Hudson to the Natural History Museum to see the dinosaurs. He's finally old enough to 'get it' and old enough for me to envision the trip possibly going smoothly!

We went on a Saturday thinking getting into the city would be easier and my not-yet retired parents could join us!



It was chilly but we were excited nonetheless!



Part of the adventure and excitement would be riding the Metro, Hudson's first train/subway ride. This excitement manifested into a groan when we heard the announcement that due to track work, 2 stations on our route would be closed and we needed to exit, board a bus, and catch the subway again 3 stops later! Here's where I explained I call every outing, even to the grocery store, 'an adventure' because somehow it always becomes one. To Metro's credit the buses were always ready and waiting, as for the trains, we all got the opportunity to practice our patience, something Hudson and I talk about often!



Hudson speed through the dinosaurs and was ready to go see the rockets. I extended the visit to check out at least a few more of the wonders.









Since our Metro trip took over an hour, we were only at the museum about an hour before some of us got hungry. The food selection on the Mall always annoys me; you can get things overpriced or a hotdog which I don't eat unless I have to. We headed over to Air and Space thinking we would eat there and low and behold there's a McDonald's cart outside the museum! "Perfect!" We all thought!



They had a great system of offering 3 choices as a meal or not and that was it, fast and delicious and not ridiculously over-priced. We felt so European dining al fresco and feeding the birds are leftover fries!

On to Air and Space where Hudson once again raced through. Really all this racing was just fine with me because I generally don't have the patience to stay and read too much!






As an added bonus, it just happened to be Family Fun Day so there were projects throughout!



Here's Hudson making a black box!

We got home about 3:45 and us grownups were ready for coffee and a nap! We sipped the coffee and snoozed while little bundle of endless energy watched 2 cartoons! My mom and I mustered enough energy to walk Hudson to the playground 2 blocks away.



Hudson swung away and we took a slightly longer walk home so we could check out the "signs of
Spring" which Hudson likes to point out! The extra blockage proved too much and we were told every few steps how tired he is! I am no longer willing to carry him so I did my best empathizing.

We all got to bed early and I'm all the more excited that by the time my maternity leave is here, BOTH of my parents will be retired and these adventures together will not be so rare!

Comments