Book Notes: February/Early March


I Am the New BlackI Am the New Black by Tracy  Morgan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Audiobook Version: Tracy Morgan narrates his audiobiography which always adds a personal touch. Don't expect anything more than Tracy sitting back, telling you about his life. There is no organization to the book, so the reader has no clue what's coming next. He quickly goes from poinant to offensive without warning. That said, he has a touching life to share starting in the Bronx and Brooklyn to his rise to fame on the comedy circuit. I always appreciate celebrities that get themselves clean and talk about family values--especially when it comes from the most unexpected advocates. I won't deny I got choked up hearing Tracy get choked up at times, and cried right along with him...this book is not going to win him any prizes, but it certainly felt sincere.


View all my reviews

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Audiobook Version: This book was the most gripping and suspensful I have listened to in a long time. I learned many valuable lessons; Don't have friends that have affairs with foreign heads of state, don't have a pyschopath husband (or have friends with one), don't get mixed up in the French jails, and don't get recklessly drunk in Monaco. That said, if you do all of these things, at least be smart enough to get out of it! Four friends leave their husbands and children for a 4 day trip to Monaco and bodies are found nearby that get pinned on them. The book carries you through the crime, proceedings, torture in jail and beyond. It's a thrilling novel and so easy to get caught up in the injustice of it all. The ending wrapped up nicely and I think this was my first of many James Patterson reads.  

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This book has been on my list for years, but it is not available at the library systems I frequent most. It has everything I love in a memoir; travels, rags to riches, anecdotes and name dropping. After about the first half of the book though, it felt like the book was on repeat, 'This person came to dinner, I made this dessert and they loved it.' Throughout the book I couldn't help but think of the family he left alone at home (a wife and son) when he was busy following presidents to Camp David, and as if being the Head Pastry Chef at the White House was not enough of a career, he also taught night classes. I don't think his family ever saw him. I know that's not the point.
I wish I had stopped reading after he reached the White House, and simply skimmed for interesting tidbits about the Presidents and their families. He spoke respectfully of all he served (from Carter to George W. Bush)but clearly Nancy Reagan was his most difficult. I would say the most interesting bit was his experience in the White House on 9/11/01 where the staff were rushed out with such haste staff was not permitted to grab their wallets, purses, car keys, phones, etc. They were left waiting outside with little to no information until after 3 hours a colleague said, "Let's walk to my house" so dozens of staff walked four miles and found their own way home on that horrific day. It's a bit disheartening that the White House a presumed top terrorist target, didn't have a better emergency plan in place, I'm sure they do now. Again I digress, Mesnier's arrogance got under my skin although he kept asserting he is humble, maybe something was lost in translation. I would have liked to learn more of the nitty gritty of how his job worked, for example; how much time did he have to prepare, did he do the shopping himself, how much help did he have, did he have a budget? Over all not a total waste of time, but didn't quite live up to my years of anticipation. 


Comments