Book Notes Smash: Dec. & Jan.

Where have I been the last week? Apparently reading a lot, when I finally checked in on my Goodreads page, I was a few books behind! Here's a summary, that may or may not cover the books I've read/listened to since my last, "Oh S*&t, I haven't updated in a while" moment...:) Let me know what you've been reading, I'm always up for recommendations!!

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy #1)Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Audiobook Version: This book took me about 6 weeks to get through, only because of the time of year I started it (Dec - Jan) that said, it had enough appeal to pick it back up each time. There are a lot of characters, but in the audio version, the narrator does an amazing job going from 20 something American girl, to 50-somthing Russian man with some English, German, and Welsh characters mixed in as well! The story is historical fiction, taking place from January 1914-1924. I'm not much for details, but there's scandal, love, loss, murder, war, and politics, and it moved fast enough to keep my interest. I came to this book on accident, but I just might find myself listening to the next book in the series.



View all my reviews
Nineteen MinutesNineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


In this Picoult novel, a small 'perfect' town is shaken by a teenager opening fire on his classmates killing 9 and one teacher. The story focuses on Peter, the assassin, and Josie, Peter's childhood friend. Josie became popular in high school, and the two best friends stopped hanging out. From Kindergarten on Peter was the target of constant bullying and harassment, much to the blind eye of his family. I would rank the book higher but I felt it lost focus at times. I would say that reading the story helped me gain perspective on bullying, parenting, teaching and judicial wranglings. Not my favorite Picoult, but still mighty thought-provoking.



View all my reviews
Everlost (Skinjacker, #1)Everlost by Neal Shusterman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Audiobook Version: This was a fun one, definitely felt like it was for young readers, unlike most of Shusterman's other work that can reach a broad demographic. In this one, the main characters are caught in Everlost, not the land of the living but not yet 'where they are going.' Only children are in Everlost, yet it has it's own society of elites, laws, good guys and bad guys. Most residents of Everlost are trying to find their new purpose, whether it be, "getting where they are going" or establishing themselves in Everlost. When in Everlost, the characters do not age, and look exactly as they did at the time of their death until they start to forget details about themselves, as which time their appearance will warp. This was the first book in the series and I wouldn't rule out listening to the subsequent novels. (I'm writing this review over a month after listening to it, and a surprising amount of details are coming back, Shusterman always tells an interesting story!)



View all my reviews
Killing Kennedy: The End of CamelotKilling Kennedy: The End of Camelot by Bill O'Reilly

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Never thought I'd say, "I love Bill O'Reilly" but as an author, or at least endorser, I'm becoming a big fan. As I said for my review of Killing Lincoln, he presents history in a way that jives with me, as a social story. Not so much memorizing people and places, but the culminating factors that lead up to the assassination. (I read this book last month, two books ago, so I'll stop my review here!)




View all my reviews
How Did You Get This NumberHow Did You Get This Number by Sloane Crosley

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I didn't like this one as much as Crosley's other book, I was Told There'd be Cake, but still light and harmless.



View all my reviews
Plain TruthPlain Truth by Jodi Picoult

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Classic Picoult, this one was about a newborn that turns up dead in an Amish farm barn. The leading suspect is the birth mom, Katie, but Katie at first denies being pregnant then states she fell asleep after the labor. Picoult walks the reader through the investigation, trial and conclusion while weaving in the story of Ellie and Katie. Ellie, the big time lawyer who happens to have roots in Amish country and happens upon the situation. Ellie is forced to live with her client Katie so Amish life and ways is woven throughout. I learned a bit about Amish life, and a bit about trials but overall, not an ideal read for the holidays!



View all my reviews

Comments