Girls' Weekend

About a week ago I started getting psyched that my friend Carrie would be coming down with her daughter Elizabeth for a visit. We've seen each other a handful of times since I moved to Richmond, but she had only been down once, over two years ago. I'm always thrilled to have house guests, especially such sweet ones!

Carrie and I have been through a lot since meeting on the Rugby field in 1997. I can definitely say our bond is stronger now than back when we were riding the Rugby Bus together, or when we were both studying in England together, or even when she introduced me to Ted! Our adventures together are too numerous to count but just being together this weekend, having as much excitement as our two toddler could handle, was just what I needed.

Here are the kids at Maymont in one of their many embraces over the course of the weekend.
This was only a little bit staged.

In preparation for their visit, I started some short ribs in the crock pot for dinner, yum!* When it was closer to lunch time I started a Moroccan Stew I had eggplant and onion from the farmers market and I thought Carrie would try it, unlike my mostly anti-eggplant husband. I put on some couscous and lunch was served! Carrie and Ellie made it to our house about 2 o'clock which gave me all morning to clean and catch up on chores around the house. Fortunately Hudson was in a mellow mood and was happy to play inside.

After Carrie arrived, we played at the house for a bit then went out to Maymont. Maymont is our go-to when we have friends in town, or it's just a beautiful day. We get to see animals--from farm animals to black bears, and get some exercise and fresh air. When Maymont was closing I took Carrie and the kids on a scenic tour of Richmond since Carrie has only been downtown once. We went up Boulevard, Down Monument all the way to Church Hill, back through the city and home via Hull Street Rd.


Feel the Love.
We came home to the short ribs and I made some sweet potato fries to go with it, they didn't turn out so great, but the ribs were warmly received. Both kids were asleep by 7:30 and Carrie and I spent the rest of the evening chatting about everything and drinking hot tea.
The next morning we played outside a bit and they headed off at 11 AM.It was just as a weekend should be :)

A sweet time was had by all.
*The first 5 or so recipes I found, you braise the beef before putting it in the pot, this just didn't make sense to me! I thought the whole point of the crock pot is to throw it in and get on with your day! These turned out well although I wish I had cut it off a few hours before I did. I do want to try it again! You can always count on Kraft for easy and consistent recipes.

Comments