Book Notes: Three in One

Hi all! I know how annoying it is to get multiple posts a day, so I'm going to just cut and paste the reviews for the last three books I've read/listened to. Why didn't I think of this sooner?! Have a great Tuesday!!


Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French ParentingBringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting by Pamela Druckerman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I finished this book over two weeks ago, and have been lazy about writing the review. I loved the book, and I can't possibly do it justice in my haste. I hope Druckerman will write a subsequent book with how to implement French parenting ideals in America. She admits it would be difficult, especially with the hyper-competitive atmosphere of parenting in America.
Druckerman covers how the French view pregnancy, "Waiting for a child," labor and delivery, (nearly everyone gets an epidural), bringing home a newborn (few nurse past 3 months, and few are NOT sleeping through the night at 3 months) and on, all the way through high school. There are so many interesting tidbits that I have already used in casual conversation over the last few weeks, and I imagine it will continue to be pertinent. A few tidbits include; all children in France eat at 8, 12, 4, and 8 with no snacking, French children tend to be more depressed because of the grading scale, parents don't play on the playground, there are four magic works; please, thank you, hello and goodbye and finally families bake together on the weekends. And I almost forgot, starting at age FOUR!!! Children go on a field trip for a week where the chaperones are not parents! (By six years old it's all but required.) That's just a small sampling, I'm sure I'll think of five more by the end of this review. Everyone with an interest in today's children and a critical view of societal norms should check out this book.

As usual, a good book leaves you wanting more, and I want to read more about eating. In both my personal and professional life I see so many battles with getting a toddler to eat. Druckermann has already written that book, French Children Don't Throw Food, so off I go to get on the waiting list!



View all my reviews

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest TrailWild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This was a fun read/listen about a woman who left "normal" society to hike the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) in her late 20's. The book has a nice balance of personal background and asides, and actual trail adventure. Many times I thought, "How can you be so foolish?" but then, she would get creative and come out okay. The story reads at a steady pace and the readers ends up feeling like you were on a bit of an adventure too.



View all my reviews

Pretty in Plaid: A Life, a Witch, and a Wardrobe, or, the Wonder Years Before the Condescending, Egomanical, Self-Centered Smart-Ass PhasePretty in Plaid: A Life, a Witch, and a Wardrobe, or, the Wonder Years Before the Condescending, Egomanical, Self-Centered Smart-Ass Phase by Jen Lancaster

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This was Lancaster's book before her uber popular; Bitterness is the New Black. For me the book was harmless, filler entertainment. Nothing to really sink my teeth into but not so shallow that I gave up. Lancaster shares mostly falls from her over-confident grace, which is the essence of humanity right?!



View all my reviews

Comments