Book Notes: Gender Cake

Following last week's book note bundle, here's another one. BTW I always welcome book recommendations!!

How To Choose The Sex Of Your BabyHow To Choose The Sex Of Your Baby by Landrum B. Shettles




I'm not at a point of needing this book, but a neighbor swore by it and I was curious. The science is fascinating and the book is clearly written with pretty straightforward recommendations. I can't review it because I don't have personal verification that the methods work, but if you know you get pregnant easily, or are really set on a boy or girl, or are just plain curious like me, it's worth checking out, and can be "read" for highlights in just a few hours.



View all my reviews

The Particular Sadness of Lemon CakeThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


The premise was intriguing, a nine year old discovers she can "taste" the baker/cook's emotions through the food they prepare. She can even determine where it came from, and if it is organic or not. The first half of the book follow Rose as she processes this "gift." As the book goes on, it looses steam and organization. Essentially, Rose's older brother Joe and her father also possess extraordinary powers, yet those powers aren't exactly made clear. I thought it was just me who missed the details, (because I did fall asleep a lot ready this one,) but it wasn't just me. The ladies of my book club were also not equally flummoxed. This would have been better written for the Juvenile crowd.



View all my reviews

Comments