Book Notes: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop TalkingQuiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in better understanding people, both introverts and extroverts alike. I personally found it very valuable to better understand myself and while I felt inferior in elementary school, and really all through school until college when no one knew of my "shy" label. Like all non-fiction that I've listened to, I know I miss at least 40% of the valuable content, but still I was able to glean a lot of powerful information. Cain gives tips to Managers, Teachers and Parents. She also touches on when your partner is the opposite type from you! How to embrace your introverts and help them thrive. She give personal examples of triumphs and insights and it finally helped me understand why I don't like to say "Hi" to people that I know when I unexpectedly see them in public--even if it's someone I really like I usually duck and cover.
Cain defines introvert-ism and the differences and similarities between it and sensitivity. Perhaps the single most valuable bit of information is her twenty true/false questions to help you determine if you are an introvert. (The quiz can currently be found here, http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/2320...) I began thinking about my family, friends, colleagues in terms of their type. Reading Quiet reminded me to get back to the book The Five Languages of Love which I think can be equally as powerful in understanding people and their actions. Please read this book, and hug the next introvert you see, oh wait, that might make them uncomfortable, maybe slip them a note of understanding!



View all my reviews

Comments