Book Notes: Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This book is super-hyped right now, and I'd probably embarrass myself if I wrote too much about it. Essentially, an inexperienced college senior, Anastasia Steele, meets and falls for Christian Grey. Grey wants to begin a relationship with Anastasia, but they have different ideas of "a relationship." His involves a contract with hard and soft limits, a dominant (Grey) and a subservient (Steele).
I haven't read any trashy romance novels, but I'm not sure how this is any different, and how this book got to be so mainstream with such a following. (I would love to learn more about the marketing!) It is poorly written with phrases like "blush scarlet" and "flush crimson" throughout that just seem like a clumsy attempt to be descriptive. That said, I'm on the waiting list for the second and third books from the library, which I'll be excited to read, but will not spend money on!

You can also read my reviews of books 2 and 3. Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed

View all my reviews

Comments