Bad News Bears

You're about to learn more than you wanted to about cholesterol, and my shitty cholesterol in particular. My last post seemed upbeat, but today I got the results of a follow up blood test. My PCP ordered a Lipid Profile which looks closely at the size of the cholesterol particles. (I'm sure I'm butchering the technical terms, so Docs out there can help me out!) Basically even if you have super high cholesterol, you are not necessarily at super high risk for heart disease unless your particles are small. Sounds backwards doesn't it? The Cardiologist explained (and even drew me a diagram) that if your particles are large, they will be fluffy and are less likely to stick to the arteries. Contrastingly if your particles are small, they are hard and are likely to stick to the arteries. To give you an idea of just how bad my levels are here are my numbers:
LDL-P Low is under 1000, Very High is over 2000, mine is 2300. LDL-C Optimal is under 100, Very High is over 189. Mine is 264. I'm screwed. The weird thing is I just went to the Cardiologist last week, he listened to my heart and based on my family history, he was not concerned. He ordered an Echo-cardiogram (A Sonogram of the heart) just to be sure which I'll get at the end of the month. (To learn more about this you can look at, The Particle Test.
The doctors say go on a low fat diet, I basically already am on a low fat diet, but I guess I should turn it up a notch. My PCP told me to take 3 Grams of Fish Oil but the Cardiologist said that causes more problems and to only take 1 Gram. I should be on a Statin, but the doctors said they do not prescribe that for women of child bearing years that are hoping to expand their family. So basically, I'm going to go a little leaner, get a treadmill, and be grateful (I guess) that now I know.

Comments

  1. Monie, big hugs to you. How scary, worrying all this must be. You are right that no one would expect YOU to be dealing with high cholesterol - you have always been one of the healthiest eaters I know! (without being obsessive, just healthy). Not fair at all. You have been dealing with a lot lately! I am so glad you are finding out now so they can keep an eye on your heart, and I hope you can find something preventative that will make a difference. I'm sure you're already eating oatmeal. :) Lots of love. Let me know if you want to (have time to) talk it out!
    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Monica! This is a lot to take in for us, your friends, so I can only imagine what this is like for you and Ted to process. It doesn't make sense, given all you were already doing for your health. Just like Beth, I hope that the docs can help you find a treatment that is preventative and helps bring you to a healthy place. We send our love and let us know if you need anything!!
    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies for your kind words of support, I've actually thought of both of you through all this! We've all had interesting medical journeys. I get my echo-cardiogram in two weeks, and get another blood test in six months. Hopefully there will be no surprises there. I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment