Mantra Mondays: It's All About the Benjamins

Today may have been a typical, dreary, cold Monday for you, but for me it was a day that will live on in infamy. Today was the day I made more money than Ted. Not in an illegal way either. Little ole me, that started at a Nonprofit making a whopping 20K a year. Over the next ten years my salary did little more than double even with a Master's Degree. Over the last three years I didn't get any raise or even Cost of Living increase. I felt like I was diminishing in value.

When I started my new job in September, Ted was so excited for me, he said wistfully, "If you have 5 appointments in one day, you'll make more money than me." Now, we are not competitive, and I don't care that Ted makes more money than me because we are a team, and we are both doing what we love. BUT the significance here, to me, is that as a public school educator, and now a Social Services Provider I never dreamed of making more money than Ted, a software developer. The thought never crossed my mind. Being as his salary has been just about double mine at all times. Public school teachers, by and large cast off their disappointing paychecks as being their contribution to society. That fact didn't sit well with me for too long, and I did not give up trying to find a way to still use my degree, and experience and make a comfortable salary.

I know things can change at any time, and nothing is guaranteed, but for one glorious day, I made more than a computer consultant, and that feels amazing!

Comments