Mantra Mondays: Best Laid Plans

I usually pick the mantra based on what's been rolling through my head a lot lately, and this holiday week was something about the best laid plans. We had three foibles that hindered our best laid plans and I tried my darnest to stay positive through them.
1. Christmas weekend: We were all going to rondez-vous at our central location, and then it came up that my Dad might be working on Christmas Eve, so they wouldn't arrive until 3 PM. Ted, Hudson and I went on to meet my brother and his family anyway. We lamented our too-busy parents and enjoyed a tasty Mexican dinner just the six of us. Saturday morning my parents arrived, hooray! but my Grandma was still sick, and would not be coming. Well, we can't leave grandma alone on Christmas, so we moved the party back to our house. As we left and I realized I wouldn't be with my brother on Christmas for the first time in a long time my heart sank. Then I sucked it up and said, "This is what you've wanted for years, to not run around so much on Christmas!" Yes it was, and it was great, we stretched out the gift exchanging and we had lots of time with everyone, so it all worked out.
2. Ted's week off: Ted was planing on taking the week between Christmas and New Year's off to study for a certification. Studying for anything when you have a little one is quite an ordeal, and Ted wanted to just knock it out! So he was going to be home and studying, I was going to work and Hudson was going to daycare. Then Hudson got sick and Ted needed to take care of him the whole week, he also needed to be home and available for the painters that were here all week and as a result, he got very little studying done. I felt so bad for him, but he agreed I shouldn't miss my appointments because I don't get paid if I don't work! So he's not getting it done as soon as he hoped but he's okay with that.
3. New Years Eve: I was SO excited that Ted and I were actually going to go out for New Year's Eve. For the first time in recent memory I actually wanted to be out and about and celebrate, AND we had a babysitter! Pam and Granny are eager babysitters, and it is so easy when everyone lives together, we just say goodbye and no one thinks twice! WELL then on Friday my voice got scratchy and Saturday it was worse, and painful! I was so annoyed because I was just sick one day last week too! I always pride myself on my immune system, and now I'm getting double slammed! We still went out and had a good time it was low key and relaxed which is what Ted wanted anyway!

On to 2012 where the best laid plans don't always work out as you planned.

As always, here are the construction updates.

Comments