Home and Garden: Pumpkining On....

I got a lot of positive feedback on my pumpkin post--turns out lots of people love pumpkin, who knew?! Well just because I posted about it last month, doesn't mean I've stopped my bake-puree-cook cycle. I think I've baked 5 10-20 lbs pumpkins. That is a whole lot of meat, and I my freezer looks like a hunter's with a burgeoning stockpile. I still have nothing but love for the orange stuff, and below are three of my most recent finds.
Almost-Famous Pumpkin Cheesecake


OMG was this amazingly delicious! I used reduced fat cream cheese, and left out the whipped cream and pecans. I made this super easy on myself and bought graham cracker crumbs, so convenient. The recipe still took a little longer than most of my recipes, and I never allow enough setting time which simply means I need to make more cheesecakes to get used the whole plan ahead idea. It really does come out as thick as the picture, so making sure it sets completely really does take the nearly 3 hours. Absolutely heavenly, now I'm just looking for my next reason to make it again--after I loose the 3 or so pounds I put on eating it for a week!

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bon Bons


This was my first foray into candy making, and the recipe looked simple enough. I haven't been too happy with my other pumpkin chocolate unions and this recipe gives me hope that it can be done successfully! The recipe makes 14 but the tray that I bought at Michael's for $2 was for 12. Instead of just discarding or eating the extra chocolate and filling I overfilled the trays making for a not so lovely presentation. It still tasted delicious so I'm going to try again, and this time only leave it in the freezer 10 minutes instead of 2 hours like I did. Some of the bon bon still have not released from the tray after a day, so maybe I should have sprayed the tray? Anyone with experience please let me know how to make these picture perfect!

I know what you're thinking, where are the healthy recipes? I felt like I had done everything possible with pumpkin; throw it in chili, chicken enchiladas, and macaroni and cheese. My next mission was a homemade breakfast bar. It may seem like all I do is read, bake and wax philosophical but most of the time I have to get out of the house on time and usually with my toddler in tow. Sit down breakfasts are only on the weekends, most of the time we're all grabbing on the go, as much as I hate crumbs in my lap in the car! For years we've eaten various cereal bars, and I've had in my mind lately that I want to have a homemade bar that we all like and feel good about. And so enters the.....

Everything Breakfast Bar


The second time I made these, I made a bunch of changes because I wanted the bar less moist/spongy and more spicy. I didn't put in any white sugar or splenda, I used 1/2 a cup milk and when I ran out of regular rolled oats, I used 2 packets of instant oatmeal, maple variety. Since this added so much maple flavor, I skipped the maple syrup. I was still a little short on rolled oats, so I filled in about 1/2 cup with rice crispies. They turned out a great! Next time I'm going to try with some slivered almonds, yum!!

What's your favorite pumpkin recipe? Want to see pumpkin some other way? I'm happy to experiment for you with my 30+ cups worth in the freezer!

[click on the title of the recipes for the recipe and photo credits.]

Comments