Book Notes: I Was Told There'd Be Cake

I Was Told There'd Be CakeI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


In the first paragraph of this book, I thought I was listening to Cheslea Handler. Then I remembered Cheslea has a sister named Sloane. From the home life details that are revealed it does not sound like they are related. BUT both Authors' audio books are read by the same person (Sloane). Aside from both being Jewish, Female and Generation X they have very little in common. Sloane is way more down to earth, low key and real. She is my age so it was amusing to hear words like; Caboodle, Esprit and Guess? after all of these years! Sloane has a remarkable way of making the unremarkable engaging. She can flesh out a story without adding shock or glitz or feel like she's just inserting adjectives and synonyms to up the word count. She makes me want to pause and think about some of my better stories...although I can't compete with a turd on the bathroom carpet after a dinner party with friends! On to the next Crosley works.



View all my reviews

Comments