Home and Garden: Pumpkin 7 Ways

I am one of those people that goes goo-goo for fall. Crisp, clean air, Mums, warm soup, hot tea but most joyously, fall food! When I get a pumpkin, I chop it in half, clean it out, poke some holes roast it, peel it, puree it and then enjoy it in every form I can find! Last week I got a Long Island Cheese Pumpkin from my Dominion Harvest Delivery. Ours was about 5 lbs. Wikipedia informed me it got it's name for looking like a wheel of cheese. Cheese Pumpkins are great for baking and infinitely easier to clean out than your standard pumpkin patch pumpkin. Below are the 7 dishes I made, 7 dishes can you believe that?! The family favorite was the pumpkin meringue pies, and a close second was the ginger curry soup. Rest assured there will be a lot more of both for the next few months.  Warning though, none of them are low fat--but hey, pumpkins only come around once a year!

Fun fact, we also got an acorn squash in our delivery, so I roasted and pureed it with the pumpkin.The ratio of pumpkin to acorn squash so great that I don't think it affected the taste or texture of the dishes at all. If you are substituting fresh for canned pumpkin in a recipe though, use a little less or water or strain it a bit so your batter isn't more wet than desired.


Pumpkin Soup - I wasn't a huge fan of this one, but the rest of my family was. I substituted apple cider vinegar for the apple cider thinking I could just add more sugar, but when I was eating the soup, all I could smell was vinegar--although I didn't dare share this with my family and they slurped it right up! This wasn't exactly the recipe I used, I didn't even put 1/2 cup of vinegar in, but still it was enough to smell it!

Source: Allrecipes.com

Pumpkin Bars -Delicious!
Source: Gimmesomeoven.com

2 loaves of Pumpkin Bread -These came out spicy and moist. I added more cinnamon and cloves too.






Source: Oprah.com
Macaroni and Cheese -I use this recipe at least twice a month and usually jazz it up with salsa, or Monterrey jack cheese. This time I used some herb encrusted soft cheese instead of cream cheese and it was oh so Fall-like! This is the toddler's favorite!









Source yumsugar.com

Pumpkin Meringue Pies -Yummy! Only problem is I now have 2 pies in my fridge! This was the family favorite!






Ginger Curry Pumpkin Soup -
 - This one I just made up--sauteed some Olive Oil, Onion, Crystallized Ginger for a few minutes, then added some curry powder until it was smelling heavenly. Poured in the Pumpkin and then added chicken stock until the consistency was more like soup and brought back up to an almost boil. When I was closer to serving I added the whipping cream until the consistency was just right, adding some more stock if I over did the whipping cream. I kept smelling too, adding more ginger and curry. I thought this was the best soup I had ever had! The  next day I made it with butternut squash instead and it was even better!

Now for this week I need to find something to do with the Hubbard Squash that just arrived...

Happy Fall Ya'll!

Comments

  1. I'm a big fan of fall and fall foods. I made butternut squash soup last week and it was all gone in two days (with only two of us!) All your recipes look great. Hope to try some later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dianne, I'll have to post some more recipes soon, please share any of your favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment