Book Notes: Lady Chatterley's Lover

Lady Chatterley's LoverLady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


My book club chose this book for September because it was once a banned book, the ban was lifted in the early 60's. There are many versions of the book, and the one pictured above, is not the version I was reading. I believe I got a censured version because I didn't see the F word or C word at all unlike my fellow book club members. My version was so bland it lacked interest!

The premise goes like this; a post-WWI injury leaves an English Nobleman paralyzed from the waist down and thus impotent. He is his wife did not have any children, and early in the book he tells his wife, 'I would like an heir so if you go get pregnant, we'll raise the child here as our own and all will be well.' At this point I thought, 'Well whatever happens he gave her permission for God's Sake!' This is so not scandalous! None of the characters are well developed or likeable. I got halfway through my version. It hard to determine what salacious details I missed from it being a censured version of if it's just because I'm reading it in a different century.

Only one of my nine book club members finished it, leaving me to think no matter which version you read, it's bound to disappoint.





View all my reviews

Comments