Book Notes: Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter

Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted DaughterChinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This book was short(165 pages) and sweet. The tone was light, while still conveying the author's heart-wrenching feelings and emotions. In short, the author was the youngest of five children, and her mother died after birthing her. Because of this, her family viewed Adeline as having bad luck and treated her as if she will amount to nothing. The book covered her life from about age 5 - 18. I found her courage and resolve inspiring, and was impressed by her sense of self-worth at such a young age. Even when she was ten she said she knew she was somebody even if her family doesn't see it.



I was impressed by not only her self awareness, but also her resolve and honor to never talk about the way she was treated at home. She never elicited pity or support, even when she was abandoned at boarding school after boarding school. Her Aunt Baba pointed out she is like the Chinese Cinderella, who, despite mistreatment at home, she remained focused and was able to escape.



The author has a book about her young adulthood called Falling Leaves. I hope to read it soon as a lesson in staying true to yourself.



Some passages that stuck with me:

"How long did it take for a person to die of shame?" (p. 95)



Upon receiving an honor at school when she was 11 years old, "How is it possible? I, the same despised daughter publicly rejected by my parents yesterday, am I not being honored by my teachers and classmates! Which is the true me? Though it's blatantly obvious that my father loathes me as much as my stepmother does, perhaps he'll change his mind one day if I bring him a few more honors. Besides, does he truly hate me or is he just going along with her because he loves her more than me and wants a peaceful life? After all, I am his real daughter." (p. 97)



If you need a little, "My childhood wasn't so bad." or "I can do anything I put my mind to" or "Those people are wrong about me" you might enjoy this book.





View all my reviews

Comments