Home and Garden: Rain Barrels

Yesterday I figured it was finally time to install my rain barrels. About two months ago I went to a workshop through the James River Association. For $65 I got a 55 gallon barrel that once stored pickles. Pretty cool, already a 'green' element by reusing the barrel. The fine ladies that lead the workshop explained how to install it and helped us fully transform the barrel from hunk of plastic to water vessel. If there's not a barrel-making workshop near you, you can buy them at Home Depot or Lowe's, or check out Craig's List for people that make them at home!

Since the forecast called for a few inches of rain today, I used my extra time yesterday to finally get them in place. I've been putting off the project since it involves sawing the downspout which intimidated me. I'm all about seizing the day lately, so yesterday was the day!
Rain barrel in the back of the house. 

Materials:
Rain barrels I had two to install!

Hacksaw, one that's good on metal. I just took a guess that the only one I found in the garage would work, and it did.
Gloves
Goggles, if you feel so inclined, I did not.
Cinder blocks
Level
Screwdriver
Hand shovel and full-sized shovel or hoe.
Pruning shears

1: Lay down the cinder blocks under the downspout and make sure they are level. Here's where you'll use the gardening tools. You want to set it on cinder blocks so that it is high enough to get a watering can underneath and so that it is less likely to move.  I did not do a great job at this, but I figured if it was level enough to not tip over, I was satisfied.
2. Set the rain barrel on top and figure out where you want to cut the downspout. On both of mine, I was conveniently able to cut around a gutter-tie (the bracket that holds the gutter against the house.)
3. Start sawing, it doesn't have to be perfect because a curved piece is going to go on top and hide your cuts. Do make sure you don't accidentally cut too high up, because that's harder to fix!
I started with our bigger and brand new downspout (did you know there are two sizes?). The newer one was much harder to get through than the thinner, older one, but still I managed so you can too! When I got to the back, I started snipping with a gardening tool. This worked really well, along with some twisting and bending. Careful not to pull too hard, you don't want to damage what's above you. Be careful not to catch skin on the sharp metal!
4. Once the downspout is off, I unscrewed the curved part at the bottom, and used this to direct the water into the rain barrel.
5. Next I snipped the corners of the hanging downspout and folded them in a little bit to make putting the curved part on easier. (At first I did not do this, and cursed a lot!)
6. Now you are ready to screw it in, or in my case, wrap the bracket back around to secure the curved part.
7. Hope you measured well and place your rain barrel underneath! Ta-da you are done!
Rain barrel in the front of the house. Disregard the weeds!

As it turns out the weather forecast was correct and it has rained a lot all day! It's been raining less than 12 hours, and both rain barrels are FULL, so full they are OVERFLOWING! I am seriously shocked! It's been raining, but not pouring all day, and still we now have OVER 100 gallons of water!

I did not anticipate wanting to do this, but you can hook two rain barrels together to make sure no water is wasted. The rain barrel has an overflow spout with a hose adapter.  I just happened to have a short hose and an extra trash barrel so I set that up for now, although it is not ideal because it can tip over and get lots of mosquitoes.

Here's what overflow looks like!
Here's a look out the window the rain barrel in the front. Do you see it spewing out the side from the overflow!

Here's the back one with overflow, and even that's overflowing! (Nevermind that pile of bricks!)



 One note on placement, on our house we have 9 downspouts. I put the two rain barrels on ones that have long gutters, and where the barrels are out of the way. After today's experience though, I want to get at least one for every downspout. Maybe now I'll have a better time keeping my garden alive!

Did a do a professional job-NO! Did I get it done in less than an hour-YES!

I hope you've found this post useful, let me know your thoughts!

Comments

  1. This is such a great post and a good reminder for me to do this under the downspouts for my new greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dianne, I'm glad you found the post useful! I didn't know you have a greenhouse, how cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment